Have You Received a Notice From the IRS?
July 15, 2013
2014 Tax Savings Tips
February 19, 2014

What to do if You Get a CP21B or CP21C Notice From the IRS

Whenever you get a notice from the IRS, the first thing to do is read it! And read it carefully. After doing so, if you agree with it, there is no action required for either the CP21B or CP21C notice.

In either case, these notices indicate that you’ve requested changes to your tax return and the IRS has agreed to those changes. The difference in the two forms is whether or not you’ll be receiving a refund because of those changes. A CP21B is an indicator that you will receive a refund, and a CP21C shows that you will not receive a refund, and you neither owe an additional amount nor will you receive a refund.

If you disagree with the CP21C notice or need to make further corrections, you will need to file Form 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.” On the CP21B, if you disagree, the IRS recommends contacting them directly.

In the event that you have not requested a change to your tax return, and you suspect identity theft, you may want to check the IRS’s page on Identity Protection http://www.irs.gov/uac/Identity-Protection.

If you are uncertain as to how to complete the form or have questions, either call the IRS directly or call your tax attorney who can explain your options. The attorneys at Ourednik Law Offices are experienced in handling these types of situations. Call us today for this or any type of IRS notice you may receive at (904) 396-8080.